Tuesday, September 5, 2017

This Years President Is....

Hello, my name is Maritza Filson! I am the President of the Capitol FFA chapter and the Western Zone Treasurer for 2017-2018 school year. This is my first year being on the officer team, third year being in an agricultural class, and my second year being involved in FFA. I look forward to serving my chapter this year and the next.

I first took an agricultural science class by accident when my first choice elective was taken in my freshman year. However, agricultural science and FFA has forever changed my life for the better. The number one reason why I joined FFA was to see what the organization could offer me scholarship and resume wise. However, shortly after doing this I realized that was not the point of FFA. I have committed myself to FFA because I realized what I could offer my chapter and community. FFA still has given me so much because I have been given the opportunity to participate in many SAEs (supervised agricultural experiences) and CDEs (career development events). My SAEs include working with the aquaponics, hydroponics, and aeroponics systems located on CHS’s campus (pictured lower left). Last year I participated in the nursery landscape CDE, where I won first high individual and third place team overall. This year I look forward to participating in Nursery/Landscape, Soils, and the Agriscience Fair. Also, look out for more blog posts coming later where different CDEs (both plant and animal related) are explained and a post about hydro, aqua, and aeroponics.

IMG_2145.JPG


In the future I look forward to going to university and majoring in plant biology, botany, or plant science. Depending on where I am accepted, I am considering being a state officer for Nevada. It would truly be an honor to serve Nevada and its FFA members. After attending university, I would like to go to a graduate school in hopes of attaining my doctorates degree in a plant related study. I am currently unsure what I want to be exactly, but hopefully I will work with plants and make a difference in world’s agricultural industry.

1 comment:

Flowers By Zion Belcastro Its that time of year again! When little lambs are born, and everything turns green again and the lands are full...